Dr Trevor Day, Reading and Writing for Results
RESPONSE TO THE UK LOCKDOWN: Trevor is providing highly interactive online workshops in a safe environment using Zoom Pro. Contact him. Take action to help meet your writing development goals and those of your students and staff.
Trevor is a UK writer and a writing development facilitator, trainer and researcher. He particularly enjoys collaborating with colleagues in universities to boost academic writing development. He has helped thousands of people to write with greater power and precision.
It could be you, your staff or students next …
- Need a writing expert?
- With extensive publishing experience?
- With comprehensive teaching/training experience?
- To guide and energise your staff or students?
Trevor Day has written or co-authored more than 40 published books in 17 languages. He has published more than 70 peer-reviewed academic articles and book chapters, plus numerous articles for the international press. He has composed guidebooks, press releases and educational materials for some of the most prestigious organisations in the UK. These include research councils, science activity centres and top-ten universities. He has won and been short-listed for major commercial and educational writing awards. Trevor loves the craft of writing and immersing others in it too. His workshops are fun, inspirational and, above all, practical.
More than 90% (often 100%) of delegates attending Trevor’s workshops and courses at universities rate him excellent/good (the top two categories on a five point scale) across all assessment categories. Ongoing research shows that Trevor’s interventions change people’s confidence, practice, aspirations and awareness. Their writing productivity and success improves, whether for course assignments, theses or research publications.
- Tailor-made interventions, from 2-hours to several days long. Most of Trevor’s interventions are half-day or one-day courses, or 2-day writing retreats/immersives. The longer interventions involve a blend of group work and one-to-one attention, to maximise the benefits for participants.
- When transformed for the online environment, the courses are typically broken down into 90- to 120-minute sessions to avoid ‘Zoom fatigue’. Pre-course preparation and ‘homework’ between sessions help ensure that the online sessions themselves are highly interactive rather than predominantly informational. Polls, discussions and activities in breakout rooms in pairs and small groups get all participants involved.
- Trevor is committed to fine-tuning process and content to meet you and your organisation’s specific needs, adapting to the culture of your organisation and incorporating the most relevant examples in course materials. Pre-course questionnaires are often sent to participants to help fine-tune course content and process.
- Reading and Writing for Results provides all course materials. Follow-up guidance helps participants apply their learning in the weeks and months that follow.
- There are no hidden costs. Liaison and preparation are included. Trevor’s fees are competitive. Because he is invariably asked to return and run further courses, he can absorb the costs of preparation and liaison and so can pass on the cost benefit to clients.
- Trevor is flexible on ways and means while rigorous on outcomes. He is committed to providing the highest standards of training, with follow up support so that learning is embedded and has long-term impact. Trevor is engaged in research which follows up on the outcomes of a sample of participants who attend his and his colleagues’ courses.
Trevor has been running a writing business since 1992. He is a qualified teacher and holds a PhD in Education from the University of Bath. Alongside his teaching and training background, he has extensive commercial and academic writing experience, having written or co-authored more than 40 books, 70 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, and numerous articles for the international press. His works have sold in dozens of countries and have been translated into more than 17 languages.
Trevor publishes on academic writing and research, and runs workshops at conferences. He helps others write case studies that interpret academic research for non-specialist audiences, such as in support of grant applications and Research Excellence Framework (REF) submissions. Such case studies highlight the impact of research for the economy, environment and society.
Originally a scientist, Trevor is unusual in having writing and academic research experience across science and social science. More recently, he has been working with colleagues to guide those in the arts and humanities. He has the ‘soft skills’ to work with course participants on sensitive issues and the ‘hard skills’ to respond to an organisation’s needs. And he is always learning, keeping up with new developments in higher education and commerce to invigorate his practice, nurture insight and inspire others.
Trevor Day was a Fellow of the Royal Literary Fund (RLF) at the University of Bath 2007-2011, and is now a writing consultant and facilitator at several UK universities, including Bath and Bristol. He undertakes writing-related research and development with university colleagues and is Director of the Royal Literary Fund Consultant Fellows’ programme which trains professional writers to facilitate writing activities with staff and students in universities. He is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Roam around the pages of this website to find out more. Or contact Trevor at email@example.com or on +44 (0)1985 844822. Trevor is happy to offer guidance, without obligation.
Fantastic handouts – very comprehensive!
An opportunity to hear and discuss different perspectives on the struggles with getting published, alongside a well designed structure for reflection … a major benefit in developing/contributing to ways of supporting new researchers
It was useful to understand that the feelings and emotions I have towards my thesis are normal and that there are methods to break bad habits and promote good ones
Everything was useful!
This really was an excellent session – very well planned, full of excellent advice and delivered in an easy and relaxed manner
Very enlightening. I now have many leads to follow up on. The best course so far.
Useful techniques to solve writing blocks and ways to find the structure of your own thesis
Comprehensive about process. I was very impressed with the informative and approachable delivery. I feel confident about finding a way forward.
Your practical guidance has made a real difference to my feelings about writing, and my productivity!
An excellent workshop, informative, accessible and above all empowering
A great event. It’s been so helpful and a really good confidence boost.
The best course I have done on this programme!
The best and most interesting course I have done at the university so far.
I have personally witnessed how your workshops have transformed the way university teachers viewed their teaching.
Most useful workshop on my course so far!
What a truly fantastic experience. I really cannot enthuse about it enough. … I feel privileged to have attended and I will ensure that my institution is made aware of what a brilliant opportunity this is for all academic staff.
I really enjoyed the week and gained a lot – confidence and skills and tools for my own writing, and hopefully much better ways of teaching and mentoring others in writing. Highly recommended for writers of all levels and confidence.